Perfect Smile dental studio makes use of Cerec CAD/CAM for all porcelain crowns, veneers and restorations.
Porcelain crowns are restorations that protect damaged, cracked or broken down teeth. A crown strengthens your existing damaged tooth and preserves its functionality.
Why May I needs Crowns?
- If your tooth has undergone significant decay, and there is not enough tooth structure remaining to support a filling or an inlay to maintain functionality and strength.
- If a large portion of your tooth has fractured and it cannot be built up using traditional composite bonding techniques.
- If you have had a dental implant to replace a missing tooth, a crown will be fitted to the abutment of the titanium implant.
- Following root canal treatment a crown is often needed to strengthen the tooth.
- If you grind your teeth and have a poor diet, acid erosion may reduce your teeth to a point where the only option available is to crown them.
- For cosmetic reasons to improve the aesthetics of your smile, all porcelain cosmetic crowns may be the best solution.
Are dental crowns always the best option?
Crowns should not be the first treatment of choice just to improve the aesthetics of your teeth, because a significant portion of the original tooth needs to be removed to facilitate placement of a crown. Less invasive alternatives include veneers, composite bonding or orthodontic correction. Crowns are required when the strength of the tooth supporting the restoration is compromised, since veneers and dental bonding restorations are only as strong as the supporting tooth , or when major changes in the size and form of a tooth is needed for aesthetic reasons.
What materials can crowns be made from?
In modern day dentistry there is a wide variety of dental materials to choose from. Some crowns are made from full gold, where as others are made from an alloy of metals fused to a porcelain outer shell. After time, crowns that are made from a combination of metal fused to porcelain can begin to show dark gum lines that are not aesthetically attractive. All porcelain or ceramic crowns are the best choice for a natural cosmetic look. There are many different brands and types of porcelain crowns and the variation between the costs of dental crowns at different dental practices may well reflect the quality of the materials used. Perfect Smile dental studio uses CEREC cad/cam for fabrication of all porcelain crowns.
How long do crowns last?
This will depend largely on how well you look after your teeth. Dental crowns require the same and often a higher level of care and attention than your natural teeth. Provided you have a good oral hygiene program and attend regular check ups at your dentist, and do not suffer from teeth grinding, maintain a tooth kind diet and do not do things like open beer bottles with your teeth, then a high quality dental crown can last 10-15 years.
How much do crowns cost?
The price varies between dental practices. The price will depend on the skill of the dentist, the quality of the crown and the materials used.